Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Bake (Secret Topping!)
Quick and simple to make, this easy creamy salmon pasta bake with a secret crunchy topping, only has 6 ingredients! The perfect family-friendly dinner for fish-lovers. Ready in less than 30 minutes!
Why should I make Easy Salmon Pasta Bake?
- Ready in less than 30 mins! A really good one to make for the family.
- Minimal ingredients – only SIX!
- The luxurious smoked salmon topping, although optional, is divine!
- My secret crunchy topping will sell this to your children (I spy cheesy crisps..)
Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Bake with a SECRET Crunch!
I’d been making this creamy salmon pasta dish for my little one since he was able to eat solids. I knew it had to feature on the blog at some point as it has become a firm family favourite! It needed something extra though, so I spruced it up a little and made it a pasta bake, gave it a luxurious smoked salmon topping (my toddler LOVED this knew addition) and a crunchy topping that kids will love…
Let’s talk about the crunchy topping a second. It wasn’t meant to be that way… I had intended to top with the standard breadcrumbs but we were out. I then noticed an almost finished bag of Hippeas Chickpea Puffs (the cheesy kind – NOT sponsored!!) and thought, hmmmm… they’ll do! And they did do. More than do, they EXCELLED and made the perfect crunchy topping. I just crunched them in the bag and sprinkled them on. The cheesy tang was an amazing combo to the creamy salmon. And of course, the little one loved it… especially when I told him what was on top!
Ingredients for Creamy Salmon Pasta Bake
- Salmon fillets – a crucial ingredient for a salmon pasta bake. Feel free to use more salmon than the 2 fillets I used.
- Penne pasta – I went for the multi-coloured kind to make the dish stand out that bit more. You can also use the plain penne or even fusilli/rigatoni. Any short pasta will do.
- Double cream – the sauce of the dish is just double cream + some seasoning. Nothing fancy but equally indulgent.
- Frozen peas – you can cook these with the pasta, for ease. Frozen peas but who uses canned peas? (joking, I’m sure there are some of you..)
- Smoked salmon – an optional, luxurious topping. Add it to the dish once cooking has finished.
- Cheesy puffs – you can use any cheesy puff crisps. We used Hippeas chickpea cheese puffs and crushed them whilst still in the bag. Sprinkle over before baking for a lovely, golden bake. Use gluten-free crisps to make this a gluten-free salmon pasta bake.
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife for chopping salmon
- Baking dish to put the pasta bake in (I used an oval Le Creuset one)
Minimal ingredients, minimal method
Only using pasta; salmon fillets; double cream; peas; smoked salmon and some cheesy puffs, you really won’t need a lot for this recipe. The method is so simple too. I can assure you, to all the parents out there, that this is the sort of meal you can rustle up with a child clinging to your leg! Read on for my step-by-step guide to making this simple one-pot pasta.
Can I make this a vegan salmon pasta bake?
You can make this a vegan pasta bake, however of course you wouldn’t want to include the salmon! You could perhaps use chunks of tofu in replacement of the salmon. If you wanted to make it a dairy-free salmon pasta bake, I’d suggest using plant-based double cream like this one from Elmlea.
Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Bake
- 300 g penne pasta
- 2 salmon fillets
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 g frozen peas
- 100 g smoked salmon
- Handful crushed cheese puffs
- 4 lemon wedges optional
- Boil the pasta according to the packet instructions. Add in frozen peas for the last 5 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 170° c.
- Chop your salmon fillet into chunks.
- Drain pasta and peas and pour into the baking dish you'll use to cook the bake in. Mix in the double cream. Season. Dot around the salmon chunks.
- Crush the cheese puffs whilst still in their crisp packet. Sprinkle on top of the pasta bake. Bake the pasta in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Once cooked, tear the smoked salmon into little pieces and decorate the pasta bake with them. Serve with an optional slice of lemon.