Quick Caribbean Beef Curry
Spiced with an Indian madras, you might mistake this to an Indian curry. The Caribbean flavours come from the added pineapple and a squeeze of lime at the end to give it a bit if a zing! Super quick to make for a mid-week meal!
It’s Barbados week!
I’m going to be honest and say that I struggled with this country. I’m not saying that all Caribbean food is the same. Of course, each island has their own specialities, but finding these online with decent recipes to adapt from; that’s a hard slog! I did, however, come across a Barbados beef curry recipe which had been spiced with an Indian madras. It’s from there that I finally gained inspiration for this quick and easy version of a Caribbean Beef Curry!
The below contains affiliate links.
For this recipe, I decided to use a rump steak sliced into strips to give the meal an added touch of luxury, but also to ensure the meat is nice and tender.
This recipe is super simple and takes no more than half an hour to make. No marinading. No complicated ingredients, just a simple, throw-everything-in-the-pan recipe!
The madras spice gives it a deep, ‘beefy’ flavour. It’s not a ‘light’ curry like a korma but by no means spicy! Feel free to omit the red chilli if you’d like no spice whatsoever.
How I cook rice
I haven’t bothered giving you the recipe for the rice as I always use my rice cooker. I’m aware not everyone has one, but in case you do or if you’re thinking of buying one, then for two people I use this ratio: 2 cups of rice with 2 and a half cups of water. Leave it to cook for 15 mins (the machine knows when to stop cooking) and warm for 20 mins. Would highly recommend one for ease of cooking and guaranteed fluffy rice!
- For a bit of a sweet kick, you could serve with my Spicy Tomato Chutney.
Quick Caribbean Beef Curry
A Caribbean curry with a zing! The perfect mid-week meal which is quick without compromising on flavour.
What you will need
- 250g rump steak
- 1 tbsp madras curry powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, crushed
- 4 curry leaves
- 1/2 a chilli, sliced
- 1/2 a tin of tomatoes (200g)
- 1/2 a tin of coconut milk (200g)
- 1/4 Pineapple, chopped
- Squeeze of half a lime
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- A serving of rice for 2 people
- 1Slice the rump steak into thin strips. Place in a bowl and mix in the curry powder.
- 2Fry the oil and when hot, brown the steak. Once brown, leave aside. In the same pan, fry the onion until soft and add the garlic and chilli. Fry for 1 minute. Return the meat to the pan and mix together.
- 3Add the curry leaves, tin of tomatoes and coconut milk. Stir and season. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pineapple chunks and lime juice. Give a good stir and serve with rice!
Want IN on a massive FREEBIE?
Join the Jess Eats crew and receive a FREE 7 Day Meal-Plan PLUS SEVEN RECIPES and a Shopping List.
You will also gain EXCLUSIVE access to my Facebook group, as well as all the deets on cool things happening in food and travel. Don’t miss out!
Come join The Crew!
You’re SO close to becoming part of the group! Go and check your emails to click the link in order to confirm and grab your freebie! See you there!
PIN ME! PLEASE?