Cumin pan roasted cauliflower with halloumi
Cumin pan-roasted cauliflower is one of our favourite quick and easy vegetarian lunches. Cumin-spiced cauliflower fried along with halloumi, served up with salad. A healthy lunch ready in no time at all!
WHY SHOULD I MAKE CUMIN PAN ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
- A tasty vegetarian alternative to heavier sandwich lunches
- Great to make ahead and eat cold with a salad
- Cumin and cauliflower go hand in hand – an awesome pairing
- Cauliflower is often overlooked at lunch time. Not once you’ve tried this recipe!
- Pretty much in season all-year round (cauliflower)
CUMIN PAN ROASTED CAULIFLOWER AND HALLOUMI
Most of the time cauliflower is overlooked as a the type of vegetable that is bland and boring, unless in a cauliflower cheese. However, did you know that cumin and cauliflower pair really well?
A lot of the time we turn straight to sandwiches or standard salad recipes of lettuce, cucumber and tomato for our lunch. How about adding some cauliflower into the mix? Frying the cauliflower in cumin will change your view of this delicious vegetable.
Fried cauliflower is a game-changer. Cumin cauliflower is another level of yummy! Simply shake the chopped cauliflower florets in flour and cumin and lightly fry in a pan on the hob. Adding some saltiness to the show with some halloumi finishes off the dish nicely.
Serve with a simple side salad as the cauliflower steals the limelight this time!
WHAT EQUIPMENT WILL I NEED?
A plastic bag for shaking/coating the cauliflower with cumin and plain flour
A chef’s knife for cutting
What other vegetables would work in place of cauliflower?
Broccoli is the first vegetable that springs to mind due to its ability to cook quickly. It also pairs really well with cumin too. Romanesco cauliflower would also work nicely due to it’s similar texture and taste, as would Brussel sprouts.
Can I use a different spice instead of cumin?
This recipe is so versatile that trialing different spices is possible. Why not try smoked paprika for a Mexican twist to the dish?
How can I make this dairy-free/vegan?
Omit the halloumi to make this dish vegan/dairy-free. Violife do a Mediterranean cheese similar to halloumi which you could try.
Can I use a different oil for frying?
Yes, use any oil which is good for frying. A vegetable oil such as rapeseed would work well. Coconut oil would be a good option too as it’s a great oil for high-heat cooking.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is cumin roasted cauliflower and halloumi suitable for vegans?
No as it contains halloumi however you can omit this if you like. See above for a Vegan cheese alternative.
Is cumin roasted cauliflower gluten-free?
No as it contains plain flour however there’s nothing stopping you using gluten-free flour instead.
Can I re-heat cumin roasted cauliflower?
Yes you can reheat roasted cauliflower however it may go a bit mushy if done in the microwave. I’d recommend frying it to reheat.
Can I freeze my roasted cauliflower?
Yes you can however it will taste better fresh. The cauliflower may go mushy once defrosted. I’d highly recommend against it and making it fresh instead.
How long can I keep roasted cauliflower?
You can keep roasted cauliflower in the fridge for up to 3 days, maybe 4 days at a push. Make sure you cover it with a cling film or beeswax wrap to keep it fresh.
Cumin pan roasted cauliflower with halloumi
Cumin-spiced cauliflower fried along with halloumi, served up with salad. A healthy lunch ready in no time at all!
What you will need
- Small cauliflower
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of plain flour
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 packet of halloumi
- 1 lemon
- Two handfuls of salad leaves
- 11. Cut your cauliflower into florets. Boil some water for the cauliflower. Pour your ground cumin and plain flour into a plastic bag.
- 22. Once the water has boiled, add your florets and boil for 5 mins until al-dente. Drain and cool.
- 33. Add the florets to the bag along with 1 tbsp of oil. Give a good shake!
- 44. Cut up your halloumi into slices. Cut your lemon into wedges. Wash and cut your salad leaves.
- 55. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan to a high heat. Add the florets and fry until golden brown, ensuring you stir occasionally to prevent burning –
- 6 about 5 mins.
- 76. In a separate pan, dry fry the halloumi for a few mins each side to create a crispy texture.
- 87. Serve with salad leaves and a lemon wedge.
Why not serve this pan-roasted cauliflower with something comforting like this lamb and spinach stew or a lightly-spiced African lamb, chickpea and freekeh chili? Go for something more European like our best schnitzel recipe. The crunch of the spiced pan roasted cauliflower would go so well with the tender pork cutlets!
To create that lovely crispy halloumi that everyone loves, leave your halloumi for a few mins before turning. Be careful not to have the heat too high or else you are at risk of burning it.
MORE EASY LUNCH RECIPES