Ice Cream with a Machine: White Choc and Rhubarb
Delicious white chocolate ice cream studded with seasonal rhubarb. Make in less than an hour with your ice cream machine!
White Chocolate and Rhubarb Ice Cream
Have you bought an ice cream machine and find yourself looking for ice cream recipes to do? I’d totally recommend this easy ice cream recipe! Using seasonal roasted rhubarb and white chocolate drops, you’ll have ice cream in UNDER AN HOUR! Making ice cream with a machine is the best way to go for a soft scoop.
Why should I make white chocolate and rhubarb ice cream?
- Rhubarb ice cream in under an hour!
- Uses seasonal ingredients
- No hassle
- Zing rhubarb with creamy white choc is the perfect combo!
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
White chocolate drops or broken up chocolate
WHAT EQUIPMENT WILL I NEED?
To make this easy ice cream recipe, i’d recommend an ice cream machine, more specifically, the Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Maker (see below as to why!) You can, however, make this without a machine by freezing the mix in a tub in the freezer. I haven’t tested this myself though so I can’t say it will work 100% for this recipe.
You will also need:
A saucepan for boiling the milk
A spoon for stirring
A baking tray for roasting the rhubarb
A large bowl for cooling with mix down with ice
An ice cream scoop for when you’re ready to serve!
MAKING ICE CREAM WITH A MACHINE
CUISINART GELATO AND ICE CREAM MAKER
I’ve actually had my Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Maker since 2015. After studying for a Patisserie diploma at Le Cordon Bleu London, I decided to invest a bit of money into a proper machine.
Here are a few reasons why investing and making ice-cream with a machine is worth it:
1. It cuts the time of making ice cream in half. You only have to worry about making the mix and you can let the machine do the rest of the manual work for you! The Cuisinart machine can make ice cream in about 30-40 mins.
2. No need to pre-freeze the bowl with the Cuisinart machine due to the ‘professional compressor’. Obviously this cuts the time again.
3. The churning process of the machine with the paddle provided gives your ice-cream a lovely, airy texture!
4. Not only can you make ice cream and gelato, but it can also be used for sorbets, granitas and frozen yoghurt etc. See my Pineapple and Orange Rum Slush for an example of this!
5. You get a five year guarantee with the machine which is a decent length.
6. I just love it! Can that be a reason? Yes, yes it can!
I know it’s a bit of an investment at £224.95 but if you were to purchase one, I’d highly recommend the Cuisinart Gelato and Ice cream Maker. I know I’ll be using it for years to come. If you do purchase, I hope you love it as much as me! Actually, I know you will!
TIPS FOR MAKING ICE CREAM WITH A MACHINE
Making ice cream with a machine is FUN! My tip for you would be to have fun and experiment.
The beauty of using an ice cream machine is that you can easily do this and see results very quickly. You’ll be able to use up leftover fruits, creams, milk etc and make small batches of ice cream for an evening dessert.
Machines don’t always require you to have tupperware to hand or time to churn the ice cream yourself. All you’ll have to do is throw it all in and wait for the results!
ICE CREAM INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES
MAKING ICE CREAM WITHOUT EGGS
I once tested a recipe for ice cream using cornflour to thicken and it worked. I’ve not tried it for this specific one but I’m sure it’s possible. You would need to make the base following the same steps but instead:
Mix the sugar with the cornflour. Add a tiny drop of milk to form a paste. Boil the recipe of the milk and pour into the cornflour mix, stir and return to pan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool with bowl sitting in a bowl of ice. The mix won’t need to thicken exactly but remain easy to pour.
CAN I MAKE ICE CREAM WITH A DIFFERENT SUGAR?
You can easily experiment by with any sugar. Of course the results would be tremendously different if you chose soft brown sugar but who knows, you many have created something new!
CAN I MAKE THIS ICE CREAM WITHOUT WHOLE MILK?
Again, coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk etc should work. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t
CAN I MAKE THIS ICE CREAM WITH A DIFFERENT FRUIT?
Got leftover peaches, raspberries, blueberries? Stir them into the mix, churn and wait for delicious results! You may choose to now roast some fruits such as raspberries and strawberries as they are already soft. I’d stick to roasting harder fruits like rhubarb, apples and pears etc.
CAN I MAKE THIS ICE CREAM WITH A DIFFERENT CHOCOLATE?
The world is your oyster. Add any chocolate you like, be it dark choc, milk or white! Maybe you’ve got some leftover M&MS or Malteasers? Throw them in! If you want a more chocolate-y taste rather than chunks, melt beforehand and stir through before churning.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make ice cream without egg yolk?
Yes with cornstarch – see my tips above for how to.
White Chocolate and Rhubarb Ice Cream
This creamy rhubarb ice cream with little chunks of whites chocolate is perfect for a hot, summer’s day.
What you will need
- 3 egg yolks
- 150g granulated sugar
- 500ml whole milk
- 3 roasted rhubarbs, chopped
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 50 g broken up white choc
- 11. Boil whole milk with half of the granulated sugar.
- 22. Whisk other half of sugar and egg yolks together until pale.
- 33. Pour boiling milk onto egg mix and pour back into pan.
- 4Stir and put bowl on top of a bowl of ice to cool down.
- 54. Meanwhile, roast the rhubarb in an oven with 2 tbsp sugar at 150 degrees fan for 20 minutes, or until soft.
- 65. Once the mix is cool, pour in the rhubarb and chocolate. Mix.
- 76. Pour into the ice cream tub and place into the machine.
- 87. Churn for 40 minutes until you achieve a soft ice cream.
- 9Either eat straight away or pour into a tub such as a loaf tin for freezing.
- 108. Cover the ice cream with a piece of baking paper cut to size and wrap the tin in cling film. Freeze until ready to eat! You will need to take out for 10 mins before eating to soften slightly.
MORE RECIPES FOR ICE CREAM WITH A MACHINE
Roasted Banana Gelato